Skip to content

Carl Albert shuts out Southeast, 77-0

Carl Albert’s defense swarms to stop a Southeast ball carrier Friday night during a district football game at Gary Rose Stadium. Photo by Stephen toney

By Jeff Harrison
Midwest City Beacon

Carl Albert kept its perfect record intact Friday night with a 77-0 win over Southeast (2-4, 0-2).

The Titans (7-0, 3-0) stormed to a 35-point point lead in the first quarter and never looked back. Trystan Haynes and Trey Washington each scored on an interception return to lead the early charge.
Junior quarterback Kevin Sperry had a big night with five touchdowns. About every other time he threw or ran the ball the result was a score. Sperry completed 7 of 8 passes for 129 yards with four touchdowns and ran twice for 14 yards and one touchdown.

Haynes scored three touchdowns – with two receiving and one interception return. Marcus James and Washington each had one receiving touchdown.

Xavier Robinson had two carries for 60 yards and one score. Kash Ferris also ran for a TD.

The Titans also scored twice on special teams. Byron Stubbs scored a 50-yard punt return late in the second quarter. Jake Farley scored his first varsity touchdown when he picked up a loose ball on a kick return and raced 54 yads for the score.

“We talked to our kids all week about being a mature and veteran group and how you handle weeks like this,” said Mike Dunn, during an interview with Oklahoma Sports Network. “Our kids do a great job watching film and they knew they were a better team, and we went out and played like that. At halftime, we talked about how we have a lot of respect for Southeast.”

Sperry put the Titans on top with two runs on the first possession. He ran for eight yards and followed with a six-yard touchdown with 9:55 in the first.

On the next possessions, Sperry connected with Haynes for scores of 14 and 24 yards. Haynes and Washington later scored on interception returns for a 35-0 lead.

In the second quarter, Sperry threw touchdown passes to James and Washington. Robinson added a 41-yard touchdown run and Stubbs scored on a punt return for a 66-0 halftime lead.

Farley scored his first touchdown on a kick return in the third. Ferris later rounded out the scoring with a short TD run.

The Titans will be in for a tougher matchup Friday when they host Bishop McGuinness (4-2, 2-0). The Irish are coming off a 20-0 shutout loss to Guthrie (6-0, 1-0).

Leave a Comment